Saddle up to sexy? Gallop to good health? Trot to be trim? Horseback riding may seem like a passive sport, but it’s actually a full body workout that offers tons of other great benefits as well, physically and mentally. Heck, even emotionally too. After all, the rider isn’t just merely straddling some stallion. These is a whole lot that goes into play.
Horseback Riding Benefits:
- Horseback riding is actually a great cardio exercise. An hour of horseback riding burns about the same number of calories as 30 minutes of jogging or cycling. And because it boosts up your cardio system, it naturally improves your blood circulation too.
- Horseback riding is great for conditioning muscles. You see, in order for the rider to control and actually stay on the horse, he has to adopt his position to the horse’s movements. This requires a whole lot of muscles contracting and relaxing, which eventually makes them stronger and more toned.
- Horseback riding develops and improves balance, coordination, and motor function.
- Horseback riding, just like walking, also stimulates your internal organs. This means that it helps improve digestions as well as liver function.
- Horseback riding, like other exercises, can stimulate the hormone of Serotonin. Now Serotonin is actually a natural mood enhancer and gives an all around sense of well being, kind of like an antidepressant.
- Aside from burning calories, horseback riding can also help get rid of stress too.
- Horseback riding improves concentration.
- You will also get a major confidence boost. Who wouldn’t being able to control an animal much stronger and much bigger than you?
There is no denying that there is a strong bond between rider and horse. As a beginner, you won’t only learn how to control your horse, make it run, trot, gallop and whatnot, but you will also begin to trust your horse and your horse will begin to trust you too. Your horse can be a great friend, if not one of your best. You can find solace and companionship at the same time.